Smashed Peas and Carrots

Thursday, August 1, 2013

RECIPE: The Best Homemade Waffle Mix Ever!

There is just something about a warm, crispy waffle for breakfast, don't you think? With a side of some crispy bacon and fresh strawberries and blueberries as my toppings I think that may just be my perfect breakfast! 

Since waffles are always high on our list of fun breakfast food at our house and since I dislike buying pre-made mixes full of preservatives I decided to figure out a dry mix that would be our go-to waffle recipe. And let me tell you, this has been nothing less than a hit every time I make it!



The Best Homemade Waffle Mix Ever!

2/3 cup all purpose flour (I like to use a gluten-free variety!)
2 cups powdered sugar (organic if you have it!)
3/4 cup softened butter
3 large eggs
1 Tbsp vanilla

Mix the dry ingredients together in a large bowl. Add in your wet ingredients and mix together until just incorporated. Cook in a waffle maker according to the appliance directions. Enjoy!

I tend to make a double or triple batch of this mix which makes it easy to grab when waffles are on the brain. It's as easy as a store-bought mix then!

It's also great for gift-giving.
Just place in a mason jar and add a tag with the ingredients needed on the back!

I included it as a part of my Breakfast in Bed Housewarming/Hostess gift found here where you can also see all the other fun items I added to this care package as well!

Thanks for stopping by today!

XOXO,

Labels: , , , ,

17 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

My fiancé and I love waffles so I'll be giving this a try. Thanks!

August 1, 2013 at 9:25 AM  
Blogger onescrappychick said...

Just wanted to make sure it's 2 cups sugar and only 2/3 cup flour? Does your g.f. flour mix have xanthan gum in it (mine doesn't, I use King Arthur), or would I have to add that? I normally wouldn't for pancakes/waffles, but I wondered how it would effect the outcome.

Thanks!

August 1, 2013 at 10:43 AM  
Blogger Angie - Big Bears Wife said...

how fun!! Will be making these soon! Love yours nails too!

August 1, 2013 at 3:06 PM  
Blogger C and M said...

I'm went to make this tonight for a breakfast dinner and am confused. 2/3 C flour, 2 C powdered sugar, 3/4 butter?? But then your tag says add other measurements?

August 1, 2013 at 4:01 PM  
Blogger Maggie said...

YAY! I hope you both enjoy them!

August 1, 2013 at 5:32 PM  
Blogger Maggie said...

Yup, that is right! It makes for some light and crisp waffles! I have used gf flour with and without and I don't think the xanthum gum makes much of a difference in this recipe.

August 1, 2013 at 5:33 PM  
Blogger Maggie said...

Yay! I hope you love them! And thanks!! Those are those nail polish strips...they are so fun...and last a like 2 weeks!

August 1, 2013 at 5:34 PM  
Blogger Maggie said...

Hi!
Follow the recipe directions as written...the tag was a gift for my sister so that is why it is different!

August 1, 2013 at 5:35 PM  
Blogger MaryRuth said...

Hi! I'm making this right now... but my batter is so so thick... like dough instead of batter. Is that how its supposed to be or did I miss something?

thanks!

August 3, 2013 at 10:58 AM  
Anonymous Stefanie @ Sarcastic Cooking said...

I love this even as a hostess present. Great idea.

August 3, 2013 at 1:03 PM  
Blogger Maggie said...

It will be a thick batter, MaryRuth, as the only liquid is the eggs...and vanilla!

August 7, 2013 at 9:57 AM  
Blogger Maggie said...

Thanks Stefanie! It does make a pretty sweet hostess present!

August 7, 2013 at 9:58 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Do you melt the butter or just add it at room temperature?

August 16, 2013 at 7:22 PM  
Blogger Katie said...

No baking soda, baking powder or salt?

September 8, 2013 at 6:51 AM  
Blogger Maggie said...

The butter is softened, not melted!

September 8, 2013 at 10:29 AM  
Blogger Maggie said...

Nope! Just make the recipe as stated above! :-)

September 8, 2013 at 10:29 AM  
Blogger Katie said...

Thanks! Easier = better. Will try them this weekend!

September 13, 2013 at 11:42 PM  

Post a Comment

Thanks so much for leaving a comment, it really makes my day! I read each and every one so please leave your email or make sure your profile is linked to your email so that I have a way to reply back to you! Thanks again and you're awesome!

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home