Smashed Peas and Carrots

Friday, April 12, 2013

TUTORIAL: Washi Tape Stool Makeover

I bought a sparkly white step stool at Target a few years back thinking it would be the perfect clean and pristine piece for the kids' bathroom upstairs and boy has it been helpful to help the mini's reach the sink.  But as much as I love the simple white look in my home I have kinda fallen out of love with the new dingy white look its gotten thanks to dirty footprints and toothpaste smears....kids!

I've been wanting to revamp it somehow but I really like the simple white color (I can't help myself...except for the fact it showed dirt so well!) so I thought why not give just the top some love in the form of a Washi Tape makeover!

This project was so easy!  And what a perfect one for Michaels RE-Love Blogger Challenge too :-) Taking my dingy old step stool and transforming it with a little (and I mean little!) bit of effort to a happy and bright piece that fits my home and personality perfectly. No need to spend money on a new stool, I just needed to revamp the one I already had, holla!


Washi Tape Stool Makeover

One old stool
Washi tape in your choice of colors and designs
X-acto knife
Mod Podge and foam brush (optional)

Of course the first thing I did was run to Michaels to buy some (yes more!) Washi Tape.  I love their selection of colors and designs. I went with bright yellow and aqua colors for a nice, cheery look!

To makeover your step stool, wash and dry the surface you will be decorating first.  Then, one by one, line up strips of the Washi Tape right next to each other and press firmly so that they adhere well to the stool.

Flip your stool over on a cutting mat and use your X-acto knife to cut the excess tape to the size of the top of your stool.

 Flip back over and Voila! You are done!

Now, if you think you will be needing to wipe down the surface of your stool you may want to give it a coat or two of Mod Podge to protect the surface, Washi Tape definitely isn't waterproof!

 Ahhh, what a thing of beauty I say!

If you'd like to find more inspiration on how you can RE-Love something in your home, visit Michaels Lookbook here!

Thanks for stopping by today!

 XOXO,

** I have been compensated for this post. However, all opinions are truthful and my own.  This post contains paid links.

Labels: , ,

10 Comments:

Blogger Unknown said...

Love this idea! I have a night stand that might look cute all washi taped up!

April 12, 2013 at 2:52 PM  
Blogger Meghan said...

Such a great idea! I have some snack tables that this would be perfect for!

April 12, 2013 at 5:29 PM  
Blogger Charity said...

Cute! I love how simple of a re-do can make such a big difference. =)

April 12, 2013 at 5:32 PM  
Blogger ginger freckle said...

What a really nice, easy project - turned out so cute!

April 12, 2013 at 11:24 PM  
Anonymous Wishy Washi Tape said...

Great project and I bet that stool really brightens up a room!

April 20, 2013 at 4:46 PM  
Blogger Maggie said...

Ooooh! That sounds like a good project to start in my opinion! :-)

April 22, 2013 at 8:13 PM  
Blogger Maggie said...

I think Washi tape would be the perfect way to re-do them!! :-)

April 22, 2013 at 8:14 PM  
Blogger Maggie said...

Me too!! Thanks Charity!

April 22, 2013 at 8:14 PM  
Blogger Maggie said...

Thanks Jen!! It's really brightening up the kids' bathrooms as I speak!

April 22, 2013 at 8:15 PM  
Blogger Maggie said...

It totally does! Love me some Washi tape!

April 22, 2013 at 8:17 PM  

Post a Comment

Thanks so much for leaving a comment, it really makes my day! I read each and every one so please leave your email or make sure your profile is linked to your email so that I have a way to reply back to you! Thanks again and you're awesome!

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home